Security focus (aka bugtraq) reachability

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Sat Sep 14 05:12:35 UTC 2002

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:31:12AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:
> > I can reach it, but it's not working, and this is sure strange:
> >     $ telnet www.securityfocus.com 80
> >     Trying 66.38.151.10...
> >     Connected to www.securityfocus.com.
> >     Escape character is '^]'.
> >     HEAD / HTTP/1.0
> >
> >     HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> >  -> Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
>
> I can't confirm from actual SF personnel conversations, BUT apparently its
> not unheard of for SF to pull up the drawbridge in times of 'trouble'.
> Apparently in the past they have done this before especially bad 'trouble'
> has been released :(
>
> Or they could have some network problem :)

or, they might be moving.  www.securityfocus.com resolves to different
IP addresses, depending on whom you ask:

   > www.securityfocus.com.
   Server:  ns1.symantec.com
   Address:  198.6.49.5

   Name:    www.securityfocus.com
   Address:  66.38.151.10

   > www.securityfocus.com.
   Server:  ns2.securityfocus.com
   Address:  205.206.231.18

   Name:    www.securityfocus.com
   Address:  205.206.231.10

using the 205.206.231.10 address, you get
   Trying 205.206.231.10...
   Connected to www.securityfocus.com.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   HEAD / HTTP/1.0

   HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
   Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:09:18 GMT
   Connection: close
   <HTML>
   <HEAD><TITLE>Firewall Error: Forbidden</TITLE></HEAD>
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York