IP over in-ground cable applications.

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Sep 12 19:33:58 UTC 2002

It is not quite clear to me what you have in mind - do you want to send
exclusively IP television over the cable system, or do you want to fit
IP into an existing system ?

Current cable systems have separate parts of the spectrum reserved for
analogue or digital television channels and the inbound and outbound IP.
DOCSIS is a standard for sending data over a HFC system - see

http://www.cablemodem.com/

There is lots of hardware for this from different vendors.

If you want a new technology system, I would recommend multicast IP
MPEG-2 over EPON - maybe in conjunction with MPLS - see

http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/epon/topic04.html

If you are interested in setting up these multicasts or for content to
put inside of this walled garden, please let me know :)

I do not think that this is really germane to NANOG.

                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks

--

T.M. Eubanks