IP over in-ground cable applications.

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Thu Sep 12 18:36:12 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:24:15AM -0700, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
> The cable companies do this quite well; however, it's not
> immediately clear to me how I would multiplex the IP traffic and
> the existing video and deliver it to a home.

	Well, the traditional solutions involve some combination of
digital TV (which you allude to in the next paragraph) and/or frequency
division multiplexing, which has existed for quite some time.

	Note that FDM is what makes cable TV possible to begin with.
As far as the cable is concerned, there isn't much of a difference
between another TV channel and data.

> My current thoughts on this are to digitize the satellite video into
> mpeg2 and deliver it over TCP/IP through the in-ground cable.  This way,
> integrating the video and data portion are easy, however the resident
> would need to buy a mpeg2 set-top-box to split out the video and
> internet.  Thank you very much for your consideration.

	I'm not sure this is really any easier than existing analog
FDM techniques.

	--msa