How do you stop outgoing spam?

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Sep 11 18:30:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  B) KNOW WHO THE HELL YOU'RE GIVING ACCOUNTS TO so that (A) works. Get
> >  a credit card or verify the phone number and other info (e.g., call
> >  them back, insist on calling them back.)
>
> >  C) Use (B) to enforce (A).
>
> 	Doesn't work.  See above.

Back in the day, a reasonable BBS would voice-validate all new users. This
meant getting a valid phone number from a new user, and actually calling
them back at that number, before activating an account.

We started as a BBS giving out Unix shell accounts.  Our new user
registration screen still says we voice-validate all new accounts, and we
do.