ISPs who de-aggregate intentionally?

Jeffrey Haas jhaas at nexthop.com
Tue Sep 10 22:05:05 UTC 2002

As a quick followup to my request:

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 05:06:51PM -0400, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
> As part of this effort, if anyone is aware of ISPs who intentionally
> de-aggregate routes and could contact me to share some of the
> reasoning and their methodologies behind this, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Explicit de-aggregation, in this case, is taking an existing announcement
and creating more specific announcements from it.  For example,
taking 10/8 and creating (where it didn't exist before) 10/9 and 10.128/9.

The leaking of more specific routes that actually exist in your
network is more a case of failing to aggregate, even if the assiged
internal networks are a result of taking your assigned block and
breaking it into several subnets.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

--
Jeff Haas