How do you stop outgoing spam?

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Tue Sep 10 20:48:07 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Barry Shein wrote:

> And, although some won't like me saying this, having the technical
> community deal with these new criminals is a bit like sending the boy
> scouts after Al-Qaida.
>
> Unfortunately it's going to take a much harsher view of reality than
> "maybe this regexp will stop crime".

Last time I checked policemen weren't designing door locks.  Not even in
business of selling them.

What we have is a lot of open doors having prominent signs "come in and
take whatever you please" on them.  This can and should be fixed by the
technical community.

US is not going to send troops to Nigeria just to catch some spammers
anyway.  Consider that a "harsher view of reality" :)

--vadim

PS. Criminals are criminals because they are stupid.  If they were smart
    they could make good living legally.  Governments avoid competition,
    too.