How do you stop outgoing spam?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 10 17:16:47 UTC 2002

At 08:20 PM 9/9/2002 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>outbound SMTP should be blocked for any dynamic or dialup source within

One of the basic problems with discussions about spam control is that it
focuses entirely on spam.  Blocking output SMTP from individual dial-ups
has a serious negative consequence:

         Laptop mobile users cannot use their home SMTP server.

         At best, they must reconfigure for each venue -- goodbye wireless
hotspot convenience -- and that is IF they know the SMTP server address for
the local access.

         In other words, by blocking output SMTP, mobile users are hurt
badly.  I know that *I* certainly am.  Constantly and serously.

d/