How do you stop outgoing spam?

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Tue Sep 10 16:13:20 UTC 2002

wow, I hate spam/anti-spam conversations, BUT:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Al Rowland wrote:

> Okay, I'm going to break my promise,
>
> Can anyone document more than one isolated instance, if that, of
> spammers using North American Cyber Cafes? (This is NANOG)
>
> If so, wouldn't appropriate AUP with appropriate fines to the CC the
> user used for access be a more appropriate sniper rifle shot rather than
> just shot gunning all your users?

The problem most likely is that the complaints roll down days after said
user spammed :( We see fallout from dial spammers normally hours after
they start spamming. So, unless they have CC#->UserName->Time->ip all
recorded at the cafe they aren't going to be able to 'fine' anyone :(

I am NOT a proponent of a technical solution for spam because its just a
escalating war of technology, but in this case perhaps there are some
measures Hank can suggest to his customers to help solve this issue, or
curb the abuse. Perhaps even a technical solution he can sell/manage for
his customer and make some more money for his business? Managed Security
Services, what a thought! :)

> As far as 'loading' spam software, any Cyber Café that has the cpu out
> where Joe User has access and/or hasn't set appropriate user rights
> preventing software installation or system access, won't be in business
> very long anyway.

Stupidity never stopped people from running a business :(