IP address fee??

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 09:06:29 UTC 2002

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 bdragon at gweep.net wrote:

> > Shane:
> >
> > I think an important question would be what level of service are they
> > buying.  Including 255 address with a T3 would be very reasonable, less so
> > with a T1, not very reasonable with DSL, and ridiculous with a dial-up
> > account.
>
> How is usage need in any way related to circuit size? This kind of allocation
> policy amazes me.

Hmm I dont know, its a guide if nothing else..

> A dialup that can justify a /24 is no different than an OC3 customer
> who can't. Each customer should (only) get the space they can justify,
> and circuit size is not a justification.

Really? So a customer who claims to need a /24 on a dialup doesnt suggest
to you that they're wrong or at least worthy of further investigation before
you assign it?

We expect certain requests from certain types of account and anything above that
gets looked at. I believe this is a good position between wasting time on end
user IP assignments and handing out a limited resource too freely.

Steve