Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 6 18:30:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:15:52 EDT, batz said:

> To a network technician, it doesn't matter whether it's terrorists or cow
> tipping teenagers causing outages, as the depth of analysis required to
> fix the problem doesn't involve speculating about the identities and
> motives of the perpetrators.

Actually, it does.  If it's a cable cut caused by a backhoe or a cow-tipping
teenager, I can probably safely send out a tech with a splicing kit.  If
it's a terrorist attack, I may want to think for a bit whether I can re-route
around it and let authorities secure the area before I even THINK of sending
in a tech with a splicing kit.

It's the rare backhoe or bovine that presents a threat of boobytraps,
chemical/biological weapons, snipers, etc....

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer