How about a game of chess? (was Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection)

sgorman1 at gmu.edu sgorman1 at gmu.edu
Fri Sep 6 17:39:52 UTC 2002

Actually I do not know how to play chess maybe *Risk*, but your point
is well taken.  The intent is not provide a public recipe for taking
down the Internet, that would be the opposite goal of the research to
begin with.  Regardless it is difficult line to tread and it is best
to err on the side of caution.

As for sampling biases - that is why it is only anecdotal evidence and
the need for it to be questioned.   Reports of Vinny accidently
announcing his router as AS701 do not make it to the media very often.

That aside the suggestion of how to model the Internet are very useful
and the closer these models can get to operational reality the
better.  The intent being methodology not revealing data.  Waites'
approach is a good first step, but what next.  Also if you know
capacties how do you model a cascading effect that encompasses intra-
network and inter-network traffic flows.

Also it might be easier to calculate transition probabilities by
summing across the rows of the adjaceny matrix then dividing the row
components by the sum.