Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Fri Sep 6 14:29:02 UTC 2002

> > Lets bring this discussion to a some common ground -
> >
> > What kind of implact on the global internet would we see should we observe
> > nearly simultaneous detonation of 500 kilogramms of high explosives at N of the
> > major known interconnect facilities?
>
> N? Well, if you define N as the number of interconnect facilities, such
> as all the Equinix sites

Lets say that N is 4 and they are all in the US, for the sake of the
discussion.

> (and I'm not banging on Equinix, it's just
> where we started all this) then I think globally, it wouldn't make that
> much difference. People in Tokyo would still be able to reach the globe
> and both coasts of the US.

This presumes that the networks peer with the same AS numbers everywhere in
the world, which I dont think they do.

The other thing to think about is that the physical transport will be
affected as well. Wavelenth customers will lose their paths. Circuit
customers that rely on some equipment located at the affected sites, losing
their circuits.

Alex