Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

sgorman1 at gmu.edu sgorman1 at gmu.edu
Thu Sep 5 19:38:56 UTC 2002

"Again, it seems more likely and more technically effective to attack
internally than physically. Focus again here on the cost/benefit
analysis from both the provider and disrupter perspective and you will
see what I mean."

Is there a general consensus that cyber/internal attacks are more
effective/dangerous than physical attacks.  Anecdotally it seems the
largest Internet downages have been from physical cuts or failures.

2001 Baltimore train tunnel vs. code red worm (see keynote report)
1999 Mclean fiber cut - cement truck
AT&T cascading switch failure
Utah fiber cut (date??)
Not sure where the MAI mess up at MAE east falls
Utah fiber cut (date??)

Then again this is the biased perspetive of the facet I'm researching

Secondly it seems that problems arise from physical cuts not because
of a lack of redundant paths but a bottlneck in peering and transit -
resulting in ripple effects seen with the Baltimore incident.