IP address fee??

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 5 18:25:56 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:00:43AM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:

> Possibly because that is what they are still teaching them as in
> school?
>
> Seriously... I'm not sure that the teachers I had for networking and
> systems admin had ever heard of CIDR.
>
> The textbooks hadn't. It was a nice bump in the learning curve when I
> hit the real world.

I've never seen a text book which had any relevance to modern networking
which didn't cover CIDR.

Perhaps if we all made a conscious effort to avoid using the term, new
people who are learning from the examples they see around them would stop
picking up on it as "how things work".

History is nice, but not knowing when to give up and move on is just sad.
:)