Network Routing without Cisco or Juniper?

Peter van Dijk peter at dataloss.nl
Wed Sep 4 07:49:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 03:39:25AM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
[snip]
>  Boxes like Foundry, Extreme, Redback and many others all talk BGP
>  (at least to a first approximation) but is their lack of use in
>  the core/edge/CPE a lack of scale, stability, performance or just
>  interest?

One Dutch ISP that shall remain unnamed (and is not one I work for or
have worked for) deployed Extreme on AMS-IX, with Extreme's BGP
implementation.

It broke horribly. The Extreme BGP implementation, instead of sending
their peers just their own prefixes, would send each peer *all*
prefixes and then withdraw all but their own networks. However, doing
this with tens of peers at the same time was too much for the Extreme
itself, which died.

Extreme has supposedly fixed this bug, but this ISP switched to
Juniper for routing.

>From what I see around me, Juniper for routing and Extreme for
switching is a popular combination. It seems both are considered to be
good at one thing and bad at the other.

Greetz, Peter
--
peter at dataloss.nl  |  http://www.dataloss.nl/  |  Undernet:#clue