no ip forged-source-address

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Oct 30 21:42:05 UTC 2002

At 02:26 PM 10/30/2002, you wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 variable at ednet.co.uk wrote:
>
>If every router in the world did this I could still use spoofed IP
>addresses and DDOS someone.  My little program could determine what subnet
>I am on, check what other hosts are alive on the subnet and then when it
>decides to attack, it would use some neighbor's IP.  The subnet I am on is
>a /24 and there very well may be a few dozen hosts.  I could be real
>sneaky and alter my IP randomly to be any of my neighbors for every packet
>I send out.

And the company being attacked would be able to find out what network you
are on.

>Traceback would get me instantly back to the offending subnet but then it
>would take a bit of digging on the network admin to track me down and
>applying RPF checking won't help.

While that traceback is happening, your upstream ISP would be quite able to
cut connectivity to your /24 while investigating which machine was causing
the problem. It's a question of accountability. If that /24 is used by one
company, it's now possible to know that company is your target when you
file your court papers.

>RPF checking can only go so far.  You would need RPF checking down to the
>host level and I haven't heard anyone discuss that yet.

Getting to the subnet is sufficient bring the problem to the local entity
involved. I think that's quite reasonable. If the /24 is a cable network, a
packet analyzer in use by the local cable ISP will find the culprit.