no ip forged-source-address

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Wed Oct 30 17:29:10 UTC 2002

To reiterate the comment I made during the session yesterday, the places
where strict rpf will be most effective are at the very edge interfaces
without explicit management (SOHO). This also tends to be the place
where there is insufficient clue to turn it on. One hopes that in the
nanog community there is sufficient clue to recognize the case where
having it on will create a problem and turn it off.

This has been a case where money has been talking, and those with enough
clue to comment on it are saying they don't want it, while those that
really need it are not asking. If the community believes this technique
is the best tool for regaining visibility into where attacks are coming
from, there are two explicit steps to making it happen. First, demand
that all vendors make it the default. Second, be willing to turn it off
rather than simply complain that it doesn't work in the ISP network.

Tony