no ip forged-source-address

variable at ednet.co.uk variable at ednet.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 16:20:58 UTC 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Daniel Senie wrote:

> BCP 38 is quite explicit in the need for all networks to do their part. The
> document is quite effective provided there's cooperation.

Doesn't seem to be working.

> Which interface would you filter on?

Customer ingress ports on the ISP side, which I suspect are the majority
of ports in ISP networks.  Hopefully engineers on the backbone will be
clueful enough to turn it off.

> If we're talking about a router at the customer premesis, the filters
> should be on the link to the ISP (the customer may well have more
> subnets internally). At the ISP end, doing the filtering you suggest
> would not work, since it'd permit only the IP addresses of the link
> between the customer and user.

The routing table of the router should be used to build up a list of
prefixes that you should see through the interface.  In this way, you
could apply it to BGP customers too without having to create filters by
hand.

Regards,

Rich