How to secure the Internet in three easy steps

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Mon Oct 28 16:05:44 UTC 2002

> > In a public press release dated August, they claim to have
> > 1.8 million Internet customers.  How that compares to the
> > global pool of cable users, I cannot say.
>
> One cable company I've done business here (Ontario, Canada) has over
> 500K subscribers, and I don't believe it has the largest number of cable
> modems in the country. So you're probably talking around 1.5-2 million
> cable modems north of the border. Then you have Europe (I think .nl has
> decent cable modem penetration), Asia-Pacific, etc.

Very cute. It is clear that the posters forgot how cable industry "counts"
subscribers. The details came out during Adelphia bankruptcy. Since that
time every cable co basically said "yep, that's how we do it too".

Here's counting subscribers the cable industry way:

They take a total revenue that's somehow gets associated with selling cable
and divide it by the price of the basic cable. The resulting number is the
number of subscribers that they claim to have.

Alex