More federal management of key components of the Internet needed

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Sat Oct 26 17:33:22 UTC 2002

On 05:16 AM 10/24/02, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

 >Alan Hannan wrote:
 >>
 >> > I don't understand how giving the US federal government management
control
 >> > of key components of the Internet will make it more secure.
 >>
 >>   It worked for airline security.
 >
 >Sure, searching Ray Charles makes me feel much safer. Asking me whether any
 >one helped me packed my bags or handed me a package always shows whether or
 >not I should be trusted to get on the plane. Stopping a little boy from
 >taking on a toy with a 1 inch long gun makes me feel safer too. These are
 >the same people who can't be trusted to make sure that your luggage flies
 >the same flight you do. Puh-leeze.
 >
 >There is not one single thing that goes on in airport "security" that
 >contributes one whit to actual security.

Amazingly enough, Admiral James M. Loy - the new COO of the Transportation
Security Administration, shows strong signs of having a clue WRT security, see:

<http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/23/loy.cnna/>

In an opinion piece by Joseph Perkins (San Diego Union-Tribune columnist,
the article ran in the SF Chronicle on 10/21 but I can't find it online
anywhere), it lists a bunch of the present stupid rules, and then goes on
to say:

	So those dictates and others like them, included on Loys' not-so-
	facetiously named "Stupid Rule List," have been thrown out.  The
	litmus test in each case, he explained, is whether a rule substantively
	contributes to security or primarily to longer airport lines.

There are several online references to this list, see:

<http://www.apfa.org/public/articles/News-Events/STUPID_RULES.HTML>
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32246-2002Oct15.html>

ObNetwork Operations:  Does this mean I can once again carry a cable
crimper tool with me in my carry on luggage (one was confiscated at SFO a
few months ago, the cable cutting blades were deemed a "potential weapon")?

jc