How to secure the Internet in three easy steps

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Oct 25 19:38:39 UTC 2002

> > > 1. Require all providers install and manage firewalls on all subscriber
> > > connections enforcing source address validation.
> >
> > i can see how the end to end principle applies in cases 2 and 3, but not 1.
>
> I didn't make any of these up.  They've all been proposed by serious,
> well-meaning people.

i recommend caution with your choice of words.  apparently not everyone
treats "well meaning" as the compliement that it is.

> If you have 2 and 3, why do you need to waste global addresses on 1.

i don't believe that 2 or 3 will ever happen, for simple market reasons --
it is harder to make money if you do 2 or 3.  however, 1 only costs a small
bit of ops expense, and has no market impact at all, so it's practical in
simple economic terms.

> Its a mis-understanding of what source address validation is.  Some folks
> think it should work like ANI, where the telephone company writes the
> "correct" number on the call at the switch.

ouch.  i guess you're right.  perhaps a copy of BCP38 should come with
every router sold?