DNS issues various

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Oct 25 12:30:19 UTC 2002

>> Yes, blocking spoofed packets helps. But it is not an end-game.

it's not even middle-game

> It provides the identity of the party to sue for negligence,
> should the damage elsewhere be severe.

and lawsuits have always been such a major contributor to internet
advances in the past.  makes me think of suing the cemetaries and
coffin manufacturers in "night of the living dead."  does not
scale.

you might remember or look up smb's presentation on 'pushback' at
some nanog or another (those anonymous hotel rooms kinda blur,
especially before first coffee).  that's not perfect, but it
scales.  and it's an engineering approach to a technology problem,
always a good sign.

randy