need opinions re: contact methods for a noc@ alias

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Wed Oct 23 16:17:59 UTC 2002

> Hi there
>
> Over the years I've seen a few very odd methods for dealing with a noc@
> email address. I've always had the mindset that:
>
> 1) individual users are subscribed to a list/alias for noc@
> 2) it's _never_ a single/shared "account"
> 3) it _always_ accepts plaintext email, at the least, for reporting
> problems.
>
> recently I've been seing more of the "single account" that some poor sod
> on shift uses, and now I've seen it all - an isp who won't accept
> plaintext email to their noc@ list, but instead want the person sending
> the report to go to a webform and fill it in.

All mail should go to an integrated ticketing system. Any of the well-known
addresses should simply open a new ticket. Whatever way the tickets are
handled internally, be that a plaintext email, shared mailbox, single
mailbox, web-form, fax-to-someone-who-replies-by-commenting-on-margins,
should never affect how one can report a problem or contact a company.

Alex