WP: Attack On Internet Called Largest Ever

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 23 07:16:48 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:35:06 EDT, Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>  said:

> performance this seems true.  However, I did notice that several of the
> servers which are operated by VeriSign were not responding to at least a
> large, 50% or greater, fraction of test queries.  Even so, VeriSign was
> good enough to chime in that their root servers were unaffected.
>
> Did I mis-perceive this, or is it another bold-faced lie from VeriSign?

If a server that can handle 500K packets/sec is sitting behind a pipe that
maxes out at 400K packets/sec, it won't be affected when the pipe is flooded.

Most likely, half your packets were being dropped 2 or 3 hops from the
server (where the DDoS starts converging from multiple sources).  So we
probably can't pin a "bold-faced lie" on VeriSign this time.  Dissembling
and misleading perhaps, but not a total lie (unless somebody can prove that
the pipe still had capacity and wasn't dropping stuff)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer