WP: Attack On Internet Called Largest Ever

batz batsy at vapour.net
Tue Oct 22 23:58:45 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Randy Bush wrote:

:when an attack happens that was generally not even perceived by the
:users, it's a major disaster
:
:i love the press

A close read of the article shows that the quotes are actually
moderate and accurate, it's just the reporting style that is
breathless and suggestive.

Honestly, if it was CNN or Fox reporting, we would have seen
an epic Geraldo Rivera special, standing outside Al Gore's office
with an excavation team waiting to sift through the rubble
of the Internet for clues to the whereabouts of Bin Laden, with
hourly updates and opinion from various Survivor contestants.

There are worse things.

I get a number of regular briefings regarding these sort of
things, and sadly, many of them are taken from press reports.
To many executives, it doesn't matter what actually happened,
as much as who said it happened, and how large an expenditure
they said we can justify to our investors to mitigate the
threat.

The only useful recommendations I can think of to give to
regular users would be to increase the TTL's on their zones
to longer than a day if they are worried about root servers
making their domains unresolvable, maybe expect occasional
delays in name resolution when surfing the net, and to remind
them to ensure their machines are locked down.

Any others?

--
batz