Sprint VS. Qwest

dgold dgold at FDFNet.Net
Tue Oct 22 14:07:50 UTC 2002

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, dgold wrote:
>
> > What possible reason would the average small transit buyer have for
> > knowing the details of a carrier's peering arrangements - especially
> > carriers like Sprint and Qwest?
>
> Are you suggesting that small providers care less about who they purchase their
> Internet connectivity from? Hmm.

Of course I didn't say that. I did say that smaller transit customers
have, or should have, a set of criteria where their upstream's peering
arrangements are not at the top of the list. Customer support, speed of
provisioning, and feature-set all tend to be more important for the
smaller transit buyer. Peering congestion may be an issue - however, sizes
and locations of peering interconnects are not, unless you have enough
traffic to potentially overwhelm one.

[snip]