Sprint VS. Qwest

jnull jnelson at jnull.rackspace.com
Thu Oct 17 06:17:59 UTC 2002

> Neither Sprint nor Qwest are serious about earning my business and are not
> providing me with their network peering details.  I was hoping that the
> list might have the collective resources to help me determine who has
> better peering.
> chirstopher
Chirstopher,

Your comment "serious about earning my business" demands reply.... I'm still in awe of tier ones and their reluctance to provide their potential customers with the facts--be it true or ficticious--that would seel the deal. I've learned a couple things about peering: one, unless your traffic goes to or thru them it doesn't matter; and two, pay attention to where they peer as much as with whom. Granted, information can be scarce until after the contract is signed, but enormous amounts of info may be extrapolated from transit hops thre your current provider. Take advantage of Cflow/Arts info, and/or use routeservers to determine AS hops. Aside from all my "do the homework" answers, I would have to say that Qwest and Sprint are quite similar, with one exeption: I once had a serious problem with Sprint, and after some minor unpleasantries was able to talk to a knowledgable engineer who told me the truth, something I have never been able to accomplish with Qwest. 2 cents.

sig=$header