sprint passes uu?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Oct 16 00:08:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 07:25:15PM -0400, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> It's hard to know how large a percentage though without knowing how many
> Sprint customers are also UU customers.  i.e. The combination of Sprint
> and UU customer routes could still be just 47637 prefixes, though I'm sure
> it's somewhere between that and 47637+45410.  It's certainly not
> 47637+45410, which would falsely suggest that together Sprint and UU have
> roughly 80% of the internet as customers.

Well, just by checking the "big" providers off the top of my head, I come
up with:

ASN             Routes          Common Name
----            ------          -----------
1239             47711          Sprint
701              45429          UU
3561             23205          CW
7018             23154          AT&T
1                20231          BBN/Genuity
209              17082          Qwest
3356             12587          Level 3
3549             12175          GBLX
6453             10403          Teleglobe
2914              8791          Verio
6461              8089          MFN/AboveNet
4200              7506          Aleron/Agis
1299              6773          Telia
5511              4261          OpenTransit
4637              4066          Reach
16631             2067          Cogent
2828              1842          XO
4006              1727          NetRail/Cogent
                 -----
                256984

Which of course ignores many dozens of 1-2k route providers.

Now, of course number of routes has absolutily nothing to do with amount
of traffic (ex: AOL, which anounces 400 some routes (and a lot of those
are RoadRunner) but is one of if not the single the most important sink
of traffic in the world), but it's interesting nevertheless.