Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Oct 8 21:23:36 UTC 2002

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 22:57:42 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:

> Ok, but how do you generate megabits worth of traffic for which there is
> no return traffic? At some level, someone or something must be trying to
> do something _really hard_ but keep failing every time. It just doesn't
> make sense.

Imagine if you will the following config:

(pipe to ISP)  +------+  DMZ 10.1.1/24 +-----+  internal 192.68.1/22
===============|router|----------------| NAT |-------
               +------+                +-----+

Now give the router a default route to the ISP - and then screw the NAT
config up so 198.68.1 packets show up on the DMZ.  Or have something catch
a broken RIP announcement.. or any number of stupid things.  Whoosh, instant
money for the ISP.. ;)

Last April (2001), while worrying about the NTP buffer overflow, we ran
a trace to see where NTP packets were going.  In a 10 minute span, we
caught no less than 6 packets looking for an address that had been a
stratum-2 server - 11 years previously.

They've probably generated megabits of data for so long that they don't
even realize there's a problem.  The perpetrators have retired or moved on,
and the incumbent admins don't see anything anomalous since it's always been
that way.  Remember - the sort of admin that's not clued enough to get his
NAT to behave is probably the sort that wouldn't know how to run a network
monitor on his outbound pipe either.  Lots of unclued admins out there...
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer