Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

alex at yuriev.com alex at yuriev.com
Tue Oct 8 20:06:23 UTC 2002

> In addition to the bandwidth savings, there is also a support cost
> reduction and together, I believe backbone providers can see this
> on the bottom line of their balance sheets.

If the backbone providers bill their customers for traffic, then filtering
out those packets would let them bill less. Since their costs are fixed, and
the amount of billable traffic decreases, the break-even price per meg goes
up, not down. They wont filter up until it would be more expensive not to
filter.

Alex