Who does source address validation? (was Re: what's that smell?)

Mark Borchers mborchers at igillc.com
Tue Oct 8 15:21:52 UTC 2002

IMHO, it's not too bad if you do it at your edges.  Explicit
permits for valid source addrs is a well-known defense against
source spoofing which of course also addresses the RFC1918
leakage issue to some degree.  It's not that hard to incorporate
this into customer installation and support processes.

A lot more difficult to manage at the borders.