iBGP next hop and multi-access media

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Mon Oct 7 14:27:58 UTC 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:40:11PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
> Manually configuring a static route in router A would achieve the result:
> ip route 172.16.16.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0
>
> However, I'm surprised that there's no dynamic routing protocol that
> allows you to do everything you can with static routes.

	Ralph, how do you intend on getting traffic *OUT* of this subnet?
Static arp entries on all the hosts?  Proxy arp?  It seems like that would
be a lot more work and much more failure prone in the long run.

	Step up to the plate, configure a secondary address, and let
normal routing protocols do their job.  There is no compelling reason to
implement an intentionally broken network, just to prove to us all how
quirky you are.

	Thanks,

	--msa