IPv4 country of origin

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Thu Oct 3 21:22:30 UTC 2002

Thus spake <alex at yuriev.com>
> > On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 alex at yuriev.com wrote:
> > > Yes, at least three companies have databases of pretty much all /24s and
> > > above mapped up to a zip code.
> >
> > These DBs are a joke.  I have /19's that are SWIPed to the billing
> > office but used in remote POPs.  No-one is ever gonna figure out where
> > they really are.
>
> Wrong answer.
>
> Just because free public dbs dont have that info does not mean that it does
> not exist.

Say I have about 10 /16's reachable through firewalls in SJC, RDU, SYD, and AMS.
No traceroutes or pings can make it past these firewalls, nor do the hostnames
indicate any particular location.  How exactly do you plan on mapping these to a
zip code, when I can tell you those addresses are fairly randomly spread, in /24
increments, to sites all over the world?

The neat thing about selling databases like that is nobody can ever prove how
incredibly inaccurate they are.  Just come up with a reasonable-sounding
collection methodology and claim any counterexamples are just flukes, then
collect money from the saps who believe you...