Security Practices question

just me matt at snark.net
Thu Oct 3 21:06:54 UTC 2002

On 2 Oct 2002, Michael Lamoureux wrote:

  But the real answer is:

  The same way you maintain everything else on the same 4000 machines.
  I assume if you're running 4000 machines you have some cookie-cutter
  secured baseline OS load that gets installed on them all when they're
  loaded, and then something like home-grown perl scripts wrapped around
  rdist or rsync, or a specific tool for the purpose like cfengine or
  synctree to push out changes and keep them all under control.  I would
  assume that the sudoers file could be pushed out with the same
  mechanism.  Or am I missing some implied complexity in your situation?
  If the implication is that you have 4000 one-off machines, I retract
  my next statement.  ;-)

I was assuming a more complex configuration than the wide-open one
advocated by Barb, which seems to add little to no security benefit.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on this point; of course pushing out a single
file to n machines shouldn't be a problem.

  BTW, I really envy "just me".  I have yet to work anywhere where every
  [insert position here] is actually interchangable.  Must be nice.

We're talking best practices here, right?

matto

   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>