Security Practices question

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Wed Oct 2 18:34:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 02:43:41PM -0700, kent at songbird.com said:
[snip]
> > > I have question for the security community on NANOG.
> > >
> > > What is your learned opinion of having host accounts
> > > (unix machines) with UID/GID of 0:0
> > >
> > > otherwords
> > >
> > > jmbrown_r:password:0:0:John M. Brown:/export/home/jmbrown:/bin/mysh
> > >
> > > The argument is that way you don't hav to give out the root password,
> > > you can just nuke a users UID=0 equiv account when the leave and not
> > > have to change the real root account.
> >
> > This is a really /really/ REALLY bad idea. I had nightmare issues dealing
> > with a network formerly run by a 'sysadmin' who thought every user that
> > might need to do something as root should have a uidzero account.
>
> That's not the issue, however.
>
> The assumption is that you have several people who really are fully
> qualified admins on the system in question, who really do need full
> privileged access.  The choice John describes is between giving these
> trusted sysadmins the password for "root", or giving them (and them
> alone) a UID 0 account as he describes (except that one would of course
> use shadow passwords etc.)

Wrong. The choice is between having a single password for the user with id 0,
and having multiple passwords for that same account. This is an abysmally bad
idea, and shame on anybody encouraging it. See

--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
  GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527