Bob on SPAM

Bob Martinez bobmartinezzz at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 2 13:29:49 UTC 2002

NANOG:

Since Ethernet strings die, I give you my opinion of how to stop SPAM.  We
shall let Ethernet defend for itself for now.  It is doing fine w/o my help.

Mail Adminstrators need to have peering policies.  Traffic Adminstrators
need to have traffic policies.  Processes beget policies.  These policies
need to be enforced by protocols.  If two peers are authenticated as valid
communications agents by the mail transfer protocol, they should be given a
higher thread of priority than random email by someone telneting to the
server (ex.).  As with PIM Snooping, Ethernet based networks can easily
snoop this activity (authenticated traffic) and deny it at wirespeed as
close the source as you dare go (domain).   These service could easily be
positioned in the core if you are already pumping the packets to an FPGA.
Going to an ASIC may be a bit more difficult.  10G is an FPGA.

Bobby