DNS 101

Kandra Nygårds kandra at foxette.net
Fri Nov 29 21:41:15 UTC 2002

From: "Damian Gerow" <damian at sentex.net>

> Could I ask people with domains ending in .ca to do lookups of type NS
> for that/those domain(s) against all the ca. nameservers, and let me
> know if you see anything weird?  Specifically, can you look at the
> ANCOUNT response?
>
> Just looking to see if my DNS understanding is way off whack, or if
> there really /is/ something funky going on with a couple of the servers.

I don't see anything wrong in particular, apart from a few of the servers
responding with glue data in the answer-section, instead of the authority
section. I assume this is what you're refering to. This is correct behavior,
glue data is not an authorative answer and should therefore not be in the
answer section. This was a misimplementation in BIND prior to version 9.

Best regards,
Kandra Nygårds