DNS 101

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Fri Nov 29 20:45:43 UTC 2002

I'm looking for a bit of DNS help here...

We've been doing a bit of work that involves looking up the real
authoritative nameservers for domains that we believe we are
authoritative for, and have run into a spot of trouble when it comes to
looking up ca. sub-domains.

Could I ask people with domains ending in .ca to do lookups of type NS
for that/those domain(s) against all the ca. nameservers, and let me
know if you see anything weird?  Specifically, can you look at the
ANCOUNT response?

Just looking to see if my DNS understanding is way off whack, or if
there really /is/ something funky going on with a couple of the servers.

TIA...

  - Damian

P.S. I /have/ contacted the organization in question, but received a
response that was *entirely* puzzling, which is why I'm asking here...