Spanning tree melt down ?

Daniel Golding dgold at FDFNet.Net
Fri Nov 29 17:22:45 UTC 2002

Marshall,

"It was Dr. John Halamka, the former emergency-room physician who runs
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center's gigantic computer network"

It appears what really happened is that they put an emergency room doctor
in charge of a critical system in which he, in all likelyhood, had
limited training. In the medical system, he was trusted because of he was
a doctor. The sad thing about this is that there seems to be no
realization that having experienced networking folks in this job might
have averted a situation that could have been (almost certainly
was?) deleterious to patient care.

We all know folks who are unemployed thanks to the telecom meltdown, so
its not like this institution couldn't have hired a competant network
engineer on the cheap.

Sorry for the rant - I just hate to see the newspaper missing the point,
here. They didn't have one quote from an actual networking expert. It does
look like Cisco took the oportunity to sell them some stuff - looks like
someone got something out of this - too bad it wasn't the patients :)

- Dan