virus or? (Those crazy ICG folk)

Josh Richards jrichard at cubicle.net
Tue Nov 26 22:27:57 UTC 2002

*sigh*

Joe has almost got it.  Apparently a Jim of ICG sent an e-mail to a
large collection of NOC contacts -- one of which was ours -- asking
about a holiday moratorium.  It hit our (digitalwest.net) ticketing
system (RT2) which stripped off the Cc: line so I didn't see it when I
responded via e-mail to him via the queue.  I had no idea he'd Cc:'d
anyone (and, by default, RT doesn't display the Cc: line in the e-mail
sent to queue watchers though it does display it in the web interface).
Since the recipient expansion is handled by RT and not the mail client
I could not see the horrendous list of Cc:'s.  When my response
went back into our ticketing system to go out to Jim, RT expanded the
recipients list back out to include all of the original recipients.
Apparently Jim didn't know how to Bcc:...  We turned off our
auto-responder immediately after we discovered what had happened to
mitigate NOC ticket system loops.

-jr

* Joe Wood <joew at accretive-networks.net> [20021125 22:29]:

--