Odd DDoS, anyone else seen this?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 13:02:04 UTC 2002

Hi,
 we had a large DDoS over the weekend, I wondered if anyone else has seen this
and knows what software is behind it.

We saw many hundred thousand packets per second entering our network from
various international peers, each packet was tcp destined to a single real end
user IP address and sourced from a /16 network address eg 61.254.0.0, where the
src was random and different on each packet but always x.x.0.0

I was unable to find out more about the data within the packet, the sheer volume
made diagnosis impossible without killing the routers.

Steve