Experts: Don't dismiss cyberattack warning

David Charlap David.Charlap at marconi.com
Wed Nov 20 20:29:23 UTC 2002

Rajendra G. Kulkarni wrote:

> I agree. Never underestimate power of a fringe lunatic group to
> cause harm.  Now, I am going to go out on a thin limb and
> ask the following: When Experts say,
> "don't dismiss cyberattack warning,"  what can somebody like
> me (just a regular user) or for that matter
> others with several degrees of better knowledge in the workings
> of cyber networks than I,  do to stop cyber attacks from happening?

I think the real question (at least for NANOG members) is not whether
terrorists are ready willing and able to to launch attacks against
networks.  It should be obvious that they are.

The real question is whether those attacks will be any worse than the
attacks from other sources that have been hitting our networks on a
regular basis for the past several years.

Are these terrorists actually trying to figure out ways to crack
Windows, Linux, IOS and other popular operating systems or are they just
downloading the same software that the script kiddies are already using?

-- David