MIA: oregon-ix.net

cowie at renesys.com cowie at renesys.com
Wed Nov 20 19:30:57 UTC 2002

> As some of you have noticed, the BGP4 route containing the address for
> route-views.oregon-ix.net has disappeared a while ago (mid-October?).
> Their website seems to be gone, and I swear, I couldn't resolve
> the domain for a little while just now. Has the Oregon IX been shut down?

As others have noted, they just had DNS problems.  Their routes appear to
be live.  In fact, the stability of 198.32.162.0/24 is pretty good, by
and large.

They did have one global outage of about an hour and a half
on October 1st, starting at 12:03 GMT.   Also, back on September
13th, between 12:32 and 13:51 GMT they were (accidentally or deliberately)
being originated by 15919 (Interhost),  creating a brief blackhole
situation.  They're otherwise usually advertised by 3701, although you'll
also see Verio originating them depending on where you look.

> Their route-server was probably the best-connected one, with the most
> views, of any public route server I am aware of (please prove me wrong,
> but do not torment me with any web-based looking glasses :) .

Yeah, for real forensics, neither looking glasses nor public route
servers are ideal solutions.   The former have single-site myopia and
the latter have no good tools.   That's why we built our own
infrastructure (http://gradus.renesys.com).

> Nothing like having to poke around 10 other RS's to establish that
> rogue AS 26212 really only has 1, 6402 and 2914 as their upstreams.

Also 2516, 3257, 4513, 6730, and 6939, just in the last few weeks.  --jim