Experts: Don't dismiss cyberattack warning

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Wed Nov 20 01:40:14 UTC 2002

Thus spake "Dan Hollis" <goemon at anime.net>

http://computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,76000,00.html

> I don't think anyone is skeptical that fundamentalist muslims would try
> internet attacks, what I think people are skeptical of is bakri's claim
> that "There are millions of Muslims around the world involved in hacking
> the Pentagon and Israeli government sites".

I'm not skeptical that millions of starving Arabs living in caves or being
slaughtered by their dictators are going to find computers, connect to the
Net (outlawed by their leaders), and attack us.

What I'm skeptical of is that this threat is remotely comparable to another
AS7007 incident caused by some half-asleep NOC engineer in the US making a
typo or other random clueless mistake.

Hanlon's Razor:  Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity.