Even the New York Times withholds the address

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Tue Nov 19 22:15:19 UTC 2002

Just to keep it off-topic :)  The kinetic water-based accumulating
stations actually do exist, though they use elevated reservoirs to store
the water.  The water is pumped up during off-peak hours, and then
electricity is generated during peaks.  This is not common, though,
because most energy sources can be throttled to save fuel, or to
accumulate in-flowing water naturally.  However, I think we will see more
of those accumulating stations augmenting green energy sources (wind,
solar, geothermal, tidal) which have erratic performance on shorter time
scales, unless things like very large supercapacitors or hydrolizers/fuel
cells become a lot cheaper.

In some cases accumulating stations are useful in places remote from any
regular power sources because they can minimize energy loss in long
transmission lines (it is proportional to current squared, while delivered
power is linear to the current).

--vadim