[Re: PAIX]

Joshua Smith joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Mon Nov 18 21:33:01 UTC 2002

for my voip network/peers, i can withstand rtt's of around 600ms - granted
the quality sucks at that sort of latency, but data/ip routes into some
of the less-than-developed places in the world are crap at best, and any
phone is better than none

Jared Mauch <jared at puck.Nether.net> wrote:

> [...]
eliminating this 25ms of latency will have no effect on VoIP unless you're
already near the 250ms RTT limit for other reasons.<<<

> > 25 MS is assuming that the only delay is due to the speed of light. Add
equipment, especially routers or other gear that requires manipulating packets
and the delays add up quickly. I once read that the most people wil tolerate
on a regular basis is around 150-180 ms. I think that is much too high for
regular use

> 	True.
>
> 	As far as VoIP goes, take 2 (digital/pcs/gsm/whatnot) cell phones
> (preferably on different carriers, or even the same if you want to see it)
> and call the other phone.  Check out the delay in there.  People who
> think that VoIP needs low delay don't realize the [presumably compression
> and other dsp related] delays introduced that people will be able to
> withstand.
>
> 	- jared
>
> --
> Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net
> clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are only mine.

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -