IP backbone numbering/naming

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Sat Nov 16 14:30:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:33:51PM -0800, Steve Rude wrote:

> I am trying to collect information about using RFC 1918 space on an ISP
> backbone.  I have read the RFC several times, and I don't see where it
> says that you cannot use 10/8 space to number your backbone links (/30s).

As mentioned, routers tend to be seen as 'category 3' devices. See also
second and 3rd para on page 4.

> I know this is an old thread that has been rehashed several times,
> but can anyone please send me links or information that I can use to
> convince my boss that we should use our arin alloc'd space on our
> backbone instead of using private space.

If you are indeed a leaf-node, enterprise network your boss may be
right.  There are ways to do things with unnumbered links too. But
how important is being able to diagnose and repair problems quickly?
The more complex the network is, the more fragile it is and the longer
your boss' boss will be yelling at your boss to yell at you to get it
fixed.

I prefer to just use /31s (see rfc3021) - the 'wasted address space'
whine evaporates.

--
 crimson at sidehack.gweep.net * jprovo at gnu.ai.mit.edu * jzp at rsuc.gweep.net
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE