PAIX

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sat Nov 16 12:19:32 UTC 2002

>>- While we're on the topic of local video, what happens when
>>television migrates to IP networks?
>>

>Why should it?  There's a cheap, ubiquitous, widely deployed broadcasting
>medium already.  I never understood network integration for the sake of
>network integration.

That medium only works for large audiences. It does not address
geographically
large sparse audiences at all.

>In any case, TV (of all things) does not have problems with latency or
>jitter below 10s of seconds.  All TV content is pre-packaged.

Live events and interactive show's are not. In some cases you start to
suffer if your
latency goes to multiple-seconds range. That's quite rare anyway, >500ms
network latency is quite rare and add few hundred codec and de-jitter
latency and
you'll find that excessive jitter is your enemy, not the latency itself.

Pete