IP backbone numbering/naming

haesu at towardex.com haesu at towardex.com
Sat Nov 16 00:59:12 UTC 2002

Hey,

Usually numbering backbone routers with a 10/8 is not a necessary practice.
Any backbone routers communicating with the outside world are marked category
three and should have globally unique IP numbers. Plus, if you are an ISP (in
which it looks like you are..), it will help others on public internet to try
to track down abuse a little deeper through traceroutes, which will may be
help them identify the upstream provider of the offender.

You could also use RFC1918 numbers for your point-to-point /30 aggregation
blocks with the customers.. But.. since that would have effect on customer's
premise equipment, it would be better to give them globally unique space as
well, who knows if your customer comes back and yells at you for not being
able to get to his router's serial interface IP.