IP backbone numbering/naming

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 15 23:57:08 UTC 2002

Generally it is not prohibited by the RFC, but it is bad form if you send
out ICMP that originates from 10space to places outside your network.
As such, it's generally bad form to use these numbers on intefaces in the
backbone, since those interfaces are likely to show up in ICMP time exceeded
messages unless you completely block traceroute through your backbone, which
is generally regarded as far worse form.

Owen

--On Friday, November 15, 2002 15:33 -0800 Steve Rude <steve at rudedogg.com>